// four dramatically different places to visit this summer during covid-19//
covid-19 has greatly impacted summer plans for 2020. although international trips may be temporarily paused << cough cough, my trip to ireland >> you can still have a fun summer while following guidelines. here are four dramatically different locations to visit on the east coast this summer //
for the artsy family // philadelphia, pa // wait?! are you recommending i visit a major city during the quarantine? << yes, i am. hear me out >> the city is vacant of tourists, its calm and beautiful. sure, the restaurants, without outdoor seating are closed but there is so much more to do in this historical city!
- the franklin institute, the philadelphia zoo, philadelphia’s magic gardens, franklin square, rittenhouse square park, one liberty observation desk, and so much more are currently open. here is a full list of currently open popular tourist spots
- a little retail therapy : many retail stores are now open // nothing helps the soul more during a global pandemic than some good old-fashioned, retail therapy: check out : nordstrom rack, free people center city, & born yesterday << which has the cutest children’s clothing & accessories >>
- hotels have super affordable rates : most, if not all, of the amenities inside hotels are temporarily closed. sure, not being able to use the pool is a bummer but once you see the reduced nightly rates, i think you will be okay
- perfect time for photography: want some amazing photos of the family in the city? now is the time to visit. with the significantly reduced amount of tourists, major spots for photo ops are much less crowded
- grab some take out and visit circa green: i actually used to live in evo << the building attached to the luxurious green space >> so i am very familiar with the area and it is amazing! its the perfect place to take the family to run around, eat some food, and, probably the most important detail when with children, a super clean public restroom
- check out some of the local university campuses for some awesome bookstores and gorgeous scenery // here are a few : university of pennsylvania, drexel, university of the arts, and temple
for those who love the outdoors // maine, like literally anywhere in maine // so its a little confusing because maine is one of the few states that requires visitors to quarantine for fourteen days upon arrival. however, they recently made these five states exempt from the restriction: new hampshire, vermont, connecticut, new york, & yay! new jersey // if you are luckily enough to call any of those states home, consider taking a weekend trip to maine << you can also provide a negative covid test to bypass the mandatory quarantine >> its a beautiful state and the limitations on what is open, won’t impact your trip because you should be spending the whole time outside anyways! for more information and updates on travel restrictions, visit maine’s center for disease control & prevention website.
- stay at a cute bed and breakfast << most b&b, hotels, and airbnbs are open >>
- acadia national park // the park loop road, carriage roads, and most hiking trails are now open
- restaurants are open with outdoor seating or delivery << definitely grab a fresh lobster roll >>
- farmers markets // who doesn’t love to visit a farmer’s market ?! check out the awesome link which shows when the markets are open and where they are located
- all state parks are open for daily use // here are a few that look beautiful : two lights, mackworth island trail, and crescent beach state park
for your fun loving crew // the jersey shore // yup, the place i call home // there are so many places to visit along the jersey shore << check out wildwood, point pleasant, long beach island, seaside, or cape may for a great trip for the younger ones >> for your slightly older crew make sure to visit asbury park, spring lake, or belmar. no matter where you decide to stay, you will find beautiful beaches, boardwalks, and local dinners.
- asbury park // i cant get enough of asbury park. the boardwalk is so beautiful and full of art & culture. make sure to check out the gorgeous murals that line the boardwalk << the perfect place to take some awesome pics with your friends >>
- fantasy island in long beach island // make sure to check out woodies drive-in diner for lunch after a long, relaxing day at the beach and before you head to fun-packed night at fantasy island << sounds like the perfect day to me >>
- shopping // did you know there is no sales taxes on clothing or shoes in nj ?! definitely, check out << the mall at short hills >> for some high-end shopping // i mean, the luxury prices are irrelevant considering all the money you save on sales tax, right?
- fun bars, the best soft serve ice cream, and fun arcade games : sounds like seaside heights to me // did you know this is where the hit mtv show, the jersey shore was filmed? not necessarily proud of this fact, but good to know
for the trend lovers // new york city, ny // yes, its another city but definitely a different vibe than philadelphia
- the zoos recently reopened! sweet, bring on those adorable animals // get 20% off membership fees to the bronx zoo << if you live in the tri-state area, its a great deal >>
- the iconic rockefeller center is reopen // check out their website for more specific information
- take a statue cruise to visit the statue of liberty with the kidos // or take the north river lobster company cruise to have delicious lobster rolls with a refreshing cocktail : either way, its going to be awesome
- check out a day spa for some much needed deep relaxation : haven spa, spa de la mer at the baccarat hotel, shibui spa at the greenwich hotel
- chow down at one of the many restaurants open with outdoor seating! << pier i cafe, the bonnie, blockheads burritos, or galloway green, just to name a few >>